Saturday, March 10, 2007

Freezer Slaw

I make this frequently because my husband WILL NOT eat anything white, therefore I no longer make the "other" kinds of cole slaw. I am sure without the mayo it has to be a little bit healthier, right?

Oh, and I half the recipe and it makes plenty for us.


Freezer Slaw

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup cider vinegar
3 (10 oz) packages shredded cabbage slaw (like the Dole cole slaw mix)
1 large carrot, shredded
1 small green pepper, diced
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon mustard seeds

Bring sugar and vinegar to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves; cool. Combine cabbage, carrot, and next three ingredients. Pour vinegar mixture over cabbage mixture, tossing to coat. Place in a large heavy duty zip top plastic bag; seal and freeze up to three months. Thaw in refrigerator before serving.

**I use the bagged shredded carrots and the frozen chopped green pepper most of the time.

No comments: